Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fun Projects!!!

I really like to paint.  Mostly acrylics because, lets face it they are the most forgiving.  Pretty much you can cover any mistake you make.  Don't like the color- cover it with another, his head looks more like a pumpkin-add a little here and shave a little there and presto he has a perfectly angular jawline and piercing brown eyes.  :)  My brother gave me this huge canvas that he had painted red for an accent piece in a former apartment.  I had been waiting for inspiration to strike me as to what i should do with it when i came across this awesome blog, Under the Table and Dreaming http://www.bystephanielynn.com/.  Follow this link www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/01/pb-inspired-playroom-wall-art-numbers.html to a picture of a PotteryBarn piece of artwork that is the inspiration for my project today!  Check out her blog for instructions on making something just as inspiring on a tad smaller scale.  :)
This is the huge canvas painted white, cream and touches of brown.

I taped the outside edges of the canvas to make the cream "mat"  around the numbers.  After taping, i sketched the numbers in with a pencil and began painting a mixture of india ink and brown acrylic paint around my pencil lines
Pull of the tape on the edges and voila!  It makes a nice addition to my little boys room :)!




FUN PROJECTS TO COME (hopefully)





My husband says i like to be busy.  Maybe that is true :) but i like to think that i like renovating because i can see something beautiful in an object that everyone else has given up on.  Anything can be beautiful.  I think about people in the same manner.  I don't give up very easily.  I am currently trying to convince him to let me try a blue wash on one of our cabnients.  he is not as enthusiastic about this as i am so we will just have to wait and see if he caves in or not.

  Since i have not yet secured the go ahead from my hubby (yes i do try and involve him in these decisions, lol) i have another project in mind!  I love this rug i purchased from Target!  They do not sell it in a larger size.  Since i have a really huge amount of a similar material in my sewing supplies i have decided to try and make a painted rug with a similar pattern for my dining room.  We have wood floors in that room and it is not as easy as i thought it would be to clean up after a four year old with wood floors under your table :).  I hope to make the rug large and durable enough to fit under the table but still be washable.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Love the numbers board -- how cute! And I can't wait to hear how the rug project goes; I'd love to do something similar for our house too!

    ReplyDelete